The Passback functionality is designed for negotiating cases when publishers can not show the advertisers' ads for some reason (targeting limitations, exceeded capping, absence of available ads, etc.). It works both within Epom Ad Server and third-party ad serving solutions.
When Passback is used, unserved impressions will be redirected back ("passed back") to the publisher, so that another ad can be requested, or a house ad can be displayed. Analytics will only show ad requests - and won't count impressions for banners that were not shown.
Passback functionality is available for Standard, Non-standard and Mobile Banners with the HTML Code Banner type.
We recommend using the Universal JS Invocation Code for more reliable performance.
Please refer to Advanced analytics to check statistical information when using Passback functionality.
There are two possible cases when Passbacks can be used:
The First Case
You are an advertiser and your publisher provides a passback tag to you. Whenever a banner is not shown, the publisher's default code (ad, image, etc.) will be displayed.
To configure the Passback:
- Go to the Publishers tab in your network account and navigate to the Site > Zone > Placement for which you need the passback to be configured.
- Insert the passback tag provided by your Publisher into the Default Code field and click Save.
Now, whenever the banner or banners linked to this Placement fail to be shown, the Default Code will be processed.
The Second Case
You are a publisher, and you need to provide your advertiser with a passback tag.
Lets assume that there is a Placement with several banners linked to it. For some reason, the advertiser that serves one of the banners could not have it displayed. With the passback functionality configured, another banner with the same passback tag will be requested, and the impression will be counted only towards the banner that will be shown.
To configure the Passback:
- Go to the Advertisers tab in your network account and navigate to the Advertiser > Campaign > Banner for which you'd like the Passback to be set.
- Select the Enable Passback Functionality checkbox.
- Banner passback code panel will be displayed.
- Copy the code and pass it to advertiser 'as is':
- Banner passback code for Universal JS when using Universal JS invocation code:
- Banner passback code HTML when using other invocation code types:
If you use Passbacks with Invocation Code formats other than Universal JS, please find the compatibility table:
|JS Sync||JS Async||Iframe Sync||Iframe Async||Simple Iframe||Direct URL|
Passback code should be 'called' when advertiser has no ads that meet the request.
Need more help?
Should you require any additional help with our solutions, do not hesitate to contact Epom technical support at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our support managers are dedicated to resolving any issues and providing you with solutions and support if you face difficulties or have questions.