The Passback functionality is designed for negotiating cases when publishers can not show the advertisers' ads for some reason (targeting limitations, exceeded capping, absence of available ads, etc.). It works both within Epom Ad Server and third-party ad serving solutions.
When Passback is used, unserved impressions will be redirected back ("passed back") to the publisher, so that another ad can be requested, or a house ad can be displayed. Analytics will only show ad requests - and won't count impressions for banners that were not shown.
Passback functionality is available for Standard, Non-standard and Mobile Banners with an HTML Code Banner type.
Passbacks only work for certain combinations of Advertiser and Publisher tags as described in the following table:
|JS Sync||JS Async||Iframe Sync||Iframe Async||Simple Iframe||Direct URL|
There are two possible cases:
- You are an advertiser, and your publisher provides you with a passback tag.
- You are a publisher, and you provide your advertiser with a passback tag.
In this case whenever a banner is not shown, the publisher's default code (ad, image, etc.) will be displayed.
In this case the passback tag will attempt to display another banner, or won't score an impression if there are no alternative banners available for display.
The First Case
If your publisher provides a passback tag to you, you need to:
- Go to the Publishers tab and navigate to the Site > Zone > Placement for which you need the passback to be configured.
- Insert the passback tag provided by your Publisher into the Default Code field and click Save.
Now, whenever the banner or banners linked to this Placement fail to be shown, the Default Code will be processed.
The Second Case
Lets assume that there is a Placement with several banners linked to it. For some reason, the advertiser that serves one of the banners could not have it displayed. With the passback functionality configured, another banner with the same passback tag will be requested, and the impression will be counted only towards the banner that will be shown.
To configure the Passback:
- Log into your network account and go to the Advertiser > Campaign > Banner for which you'd like the Passback to be set.
- Select the Enable Passback Functionality checkbox.
- Banner passback code panel will be displayed.
- Copy the code and pass it to advertiser 'as is':
- Banner passback code for Universal JS when using Universal JS invocation code:
- Banner passback code HTML when using other invocation code types:
Passback code should be 'called' when advertiser has no ads that meet the request.
Please refer to Advanced analytics to check statistical information when using Passback functionality.
Need more help?
Should you require any additional help with our solutions, do not hesitate to contact Epom technical support at email@example.com. Our support managers are dedicated to resolving any issues and providing you with solutions and support if you face difficulties or have questions.