Rules and Automatic Linking
Epom Ad Server provides two alternatives to Manual Linking of Banners and Placements, both of which can be used either as a replacement for manual linking, or as an addition to it.
Both of these functionalities are based on Labels and Categories. The key differences are:
- Rules allow you to configure a flexible setup for your ad serving activity with a set of multiple conditions.
- Auto-linking only checks whether Labels (and/or Categories) correspond to each other.
- Rules should be configured and managed by the Network Supervisor, while Auto-linking can be autonomously used 'out of the box'.
- The Auto-linking feature works only for the newly created entities, while Rules can work dynamically with pre-existing Banners and Placements.
Please follow these steps to start using the Rules functionality:
- Log into your Network Supervisor account and click Rules from the Inventory & Campaign Settings group of the side menu.
- Click to add a new rule and fill out the following form:
- Campaign Rule: based on Advertising Categories and Labels.
- Inventory Rule: based on Inventory Categories and Labels.
- Active: defines if the rule will be activated in your network. Inactive rules won't be displayed to your network users.
- Default: identifies if the rule will be applied to newly created Sites and Advertisers automatically.
- Choose the Include or Exclude indicator:
- Include will add entities with the corresponding parameters (Category/Label).
- Exclude will select all objects except for the specified ones.
- Exclude has a higher priority than Include. In case of a collision, the Exclude rule will be selected by the system.
- Advertising Category and Label (for Campaign Rules) or Inventory Category and Label (for Inventory Rules): these are custom parameters which define the rule behavior.
- AND/OR operators: define how the options in one line will be interconnected. For example, if you select multiple categories with the AND operator, the entities should correspond to all the specified Category types. Conversely, the OR operator would mean that an entity with either of the selected Category types would run under the specified rule.
- Separate lines of a single rule set are always connected with the AND operator.
Once the Network Supervisor creates all the Rules, the corresponding functionality should be enabled for network users. Please follow these steps:
- Log into your Network Supervisor account and click User Roles & Permissions from the Users & Accounts group of the side menu.
- Switch to the permissions tab of the account which should be able to use the Rules functionality.
- Set the Manage Rules permission in the Inventory Management group to ENABLED.
- Set the Manage Rules permission in the Campaigns Management group to ENABLED as well.
- Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for every role that should be able to use this functionality.
Once the permissions listed above are enabled, the Rules pane will be displayed on the Placement and Banner cards. To start using Rules, your network users should do the following:
- Log into the network account and choose Site(s), Zone(s) or Placement(s).
- Turn on the Site, Zone or Placement Rules pane and specify which rules should be applied to the entity in question.
- Go to the Advertiser(s), Campaign(s), or Banner(s) of the same type and size and set up the Rules pane as well.
Now all the Banners will be linked to corresponding Placements. The interconnections of Banners and Placements made with the help of Rules functionality will be shown in:
- Banners Probability section of the Placement card.
- Matched Ads sections of Sites, Zones, and Placements cards.
- Matched Inventory of Advertisers, Campaigns, and Banners cards.
Please note, however, that the Banners section will remain empty as there were no manual links.
Auto-linking by Categories
Please follow these steps to link the Banners to the newly created Placements automatically:
- Log into your network account and go to the Advertisers tab.
- Choose Advertiser > Campaign (if you would like all the Banners within a Campaign to be auto-linked), or choose Advertiser > Campaign > Banner (if you would like the specific Banner to be auto-linked).
- Click the disclosure triangle to expand the Advanced Settings section of the Campaign (or Banner) page.
- Select the New Placements Auto-linking checkbox and choose the Auto-link Categories from the list:
- Click Save.
Now the Banner(s) with corresponding Categories and with appropriate sizes will be automatically linked to the new Placements.
Please keep in mind that if the Auto-linking feature is activated at the Campaign level, it will be applied to all the Banners within that Campaign.
Auto-linking by Labels
As an addition to the Auto-linking by Categories, Banners can be automatically linked to Placements by their Labels. In this case Labels act as additional filters which will help customize the Auto-linking. For example, this is useful for Non-standard Placements because they do not have pre-set sizes.
To set up this feature choose Advertiser > Campaign > Banner and click the disclosure triangle to expand the Advanced Settings section:
- Select the New Placements Auto-linking checkbox.
- Specify the Auto-link Categories.
- Select the Labels for the Banner in question.
- Click Save.
Need more help?
Should you require any additional help with our solutions, do not hesitate to contact Epom technical support at email@example.com. Our support managers are dedicated to resolving any issues and providing you with solutions and support if you face difficulties or have questions.