eCPM Optimization with Burn-up Period
eCPM Optimization with Burn-up Period is designed to select a Campaign and Banner for the requested Placement among other competing Campaigns. This type of eCPM Optimization is based on the Campaigns' Weights and on the effective Cost Per Mile. The Optimization data collection is limited to a certain period of time (Burn-up).
Settings for eCPM Optimization with Burn-up Period are set by a Network Supervisor for the entire network. If network users would like to override the network-wide configuration, they can configure the optimization settings at the Campaign level.
To start using eCPM Optimization with Burn-up Period in your network:
- Log into the Network Supervisor account.
- Click Optimization Settings in the Inventory & Campaigns Settings group of the side menu.
- Choose eCPM Optimization with Burn-up Period from the Optimization Algorithm menu:
- Optimized Traffic Share: Percentage of traffic from the entire network that will be a subject to optimization (will be served to the winning Campaign). The rest of the traffic will be spread among all other Campaigns in your network.
- Estimated CTR: Click-through Rate value that will be used for newly created Campaigns that have no actual data yet to calculate the effective CPM. Value range: 0.00 - 1.00.
- Estimated Conversion Rate: Value that will be used for newly created Campaigns that have no actual data yet to calculate the effective CPM. Value range: 0.00 - 1.00.
- Burn-Up Period (hours): A period of time for the optimization data to be taken into account (1-336 hours).
- Start-Up period (hours): Minimum timeframe before the eCPM optimization starts being applied (1-336 hours). Please note that the optimization might also become active when the Minimal Clicks or Minimal Conversations value is reached.
- Minimal Clicks / Minimal Conversions: These are the minimum limits for eCPM data to be collected. When either of these values is reached for the Campaign, the eCPM will be counted. Minimal Clicks value is specific for CPC Campaigns, while Minimal Conversions value is for the CPA Campaigns.
Now your network users can turn on the eCPM Optimization for their Campaigns. To do so, they should:
- Log into the network account.
- Go to the Advertisers tab and navigate to the Advertiser > Campaign.
- Click the disclosure triangle to expand the Advanced Settings section and select the eCPM Optimization checkbox:
- Click Save
- Enable the Pricing pane from the right side menu.
- Select the Pricing model for the Campaign in question:
In the Pricing pane specific eCPM Optimization settings for the Campaign can be set (these settings will override the network-wide parameters configured by the Network Supervisor).
With the following setup configured:
- Start-Up Period: 2 hours.
- Minimal Clicks: 500.
- Burn-Up Period: 8 hours.
- The eCPM Optimization will start working in 2 hours (Start-Up Period) or when it reaches 500 Clicks (Minimal Clicks).
- After that, optimization algorithm will analyze the data for the last 8 hours (Burn-Up Period) and choose the best ads to be displayed according to it.
- Every subsequent hour (15 minutes after a new hour starts) the eCPM Optimization algorithm will be re-analyzing the data for the last 8 hours (Burn-Up Period). re-calculating the effective CPM, and re-selecting the Campaign to display.
Specifics of eCPM Optimization with Burn-up Period
- Whenever this type of optimization is enabled for a certain Campaign, the Estimated CTR or Estimated I2C rates will be used until either a) pre-defined Start-up period is reached; b) minimal number of clicks or conversions is reached.
- eCPM values are re-calculated and updated every hour.
- eCPM value for the Campaign can be reset by clicking the Clear eCPM Optimization Details button on top of the Campaign page. The Estimated CTR or Estimated I2C rates will be assigned to the Campaign and the eCPM data will be re-collected
- Changing the Campaign Pricing Model (from CPA to CPC, for example), will clear the eCPM Optimization data as well.
- Clicking the eCPM Optimization Details button on the Campaign page will show the eCPM values for the current period.
- If the Campaign is turned off for a period of time, its eCPM values are not used for the traffic distribution. When the Campaign is turned on, the eCPM data for the last period (when the Campaign was active) is used again.
Traffic Distribution Algorithm
Assuming there is a Placement that has ten Campaigns linked to it, among which five Campaigns have the eCPM Optimization with Burn-up Period enabled, while the other five Campaigns don't.
Once the Placement is requested, Epom platform chooses the suiting Campaign based on their Weights. Once the Campaign is chosen, Epom checks if the eCPM Optimization with Burn-up Period is enabled.
- If not, the Banner from that Campaign is displayed.
- If it is, Epom Ad Server will analyze all the Campaigns that are being optimized, and select the Campaign which has the highest eCPM. Some of the traffic will still be evenly distributed among other optimized Campaigns based on the Optimized Traffic Share setting.
Need more help?
Should you require any additional help with our solutions, do not hesitate to contact Epom technical support at email@example.com. Our support managers are dedicated to resolving any issues and providing you with solutions and support if you face difficulties or have questions.