Rules allow you to configure a flexible setup for your ad serving activity with a set of multiple conditions. They are configured by Network Supervisor, and can then be applied by your network users.
Epom Ad Server includes two types of Rules:
- Campaign Rules
- Inventory Rules
When enabled for any Site, Zone, or Placement, the entity will be linked to all Advertisers, Campaigns, or Banners with the fitting Category or Label.
When enabled on any Advertiser, Campaign, or Banner card, the entity will be linked to the Sites, Zones, or Placements with the corresponding Category or Label.
Rules linking does not match entities with the same Label or Category.
1. Creating Labels
Labels can be created in two ways:
- By a Network Supervisor in the Labels section of the Inventory & Campaign Settings group.
- By any network user that has the Labels permission set to Enabled by the Network Supervisor, can type in the Label in the corresponding field on any entity card.
Keep in mind that there are separate permissions:
- For Banners: Labels in the Campaign Management group.
- For Campaigns: Campaign Labels in the Campaign Management group.
- For Placements: Labels in the Inventory Management group.
For those roles, who should only be able to view the existing Labels (and not create or add them), the aforementioned permissions should be set to Readonly.
2. Enabling Rules for Network Users
Please follow these steps to enable Rules for your network users:
- Log into your Network Supervisor account and click User Roles & Permissions from the Users & Accounts group of the side menu.
- Switch to the permissions tab of the account which should be able to use the Rules functionality.
- Set the Manage Rules permission in the Inventory Management group to ENABLED.
- Set the Manage Rules permission in the Campaigns Management group to ENABLED as well.
- Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for every role that should be able to use this functionality.
3. Creating Rules
Please follow these steps to create Rules for your network:
- Log into your Network Supervisor account and click Rules from the Inventory & Campaign Settings group of the side menu.
- Click to add a new rule and fill out the following form:
- Campaign Rule: based on Advertising Categories and Labels.
- Inventory Rule: based on Inventory Categories and Labels.
- Active: defines if the rule will be activated in your network. Inactive rules won't be displayed to your network users.
- Default: identifies if the rule will be applied to newly created Sites and Advertisers automatically.
- Choose the Include or Exclude indicator:
- Include: Entities of a certain Category or marked with a certain Label will be linked.
- Exclude: All the entities that do not belong to a certain Category or not marked with a certain Label will be linked.
- Advertising Category and Label (for Campaign Rules) or Inventory Category and Label (for Inventory Rules): these are custom parameters which define the rule behavior.
- AND/OR operators: define how the options in one line will be interconnected. For example, if you select multiple categories with the AND operator, the entities should correspond to all the specified Category types. Conversely, the OR operator would mean that an entity with either of the selected Category types would run under the specified rule.
- Separate lines of a single rule set are always connected with the AND operator.
Exclude has a higher priority than Include. In case of a collision, the Exclude rule will be selected by the system.
4. Defining Default Rules Behavior
As a Network Supervisor, you can apply Rules for the newly created entities right away:
- Log into your Network Supervisor account and choose Inventory & Campaigns Settings from the corresponding group in the left side menu.
- Set the Rules Panel Default Status to Active. Now the Rules pane will be activated when the entity is created, and all the applicable Rules will be applied right away.
- Specify the Rules Management behavior:
- All of Inventory/Campaign Rules – The entity will receive traffic based on all applicable Rules that were set on Advertiser and Publisher side as soon as the Rules pane is enabled.
- None of Inventory/Campaign Rules – The entity will not receive any traffic unless specific Rules are selected and applied. In that way it is possible to stop all the traffic without disabling the Rules panel manually on each card.
Network Users Setup
Once the permissions listed above are enabled, the Rules pane will be displayed on the entities' cards. To start using Rules, your network users should do the following:
- Log into the network account and choose Site(s), Zone(s) or Placement(s).
- Turn on the Site, Zone or Placement Rules pane and specify which rules should be applied to the entity in question.
- Go to the Advertiser(s), Campaign(s), or Banner(s) of the same type and size and set up the Rules pane as well.
Now all the Banners will be linked to corresponding Placements. The interconnections of Banners and Placements made with the help of Rules functionality will be shown in:
- Banners Probability section of the Placement card.
- Matched Ads sections of Sites, Zones, and Placements cards.
- Matched Inventory of Advertisers, Campaigns, and Banners cards.
Please note, however, that the Banners section will remain empty as there were no manual links.
Need more help?
Should you require any additional help with our solutions, do not hesitate to contact Epom technical support at email@example.com. Our support managers are dedicated to resolving any issues and providing you with solutions and support if you face difficulties or have questions.